The Friends of Leasowe Lighthouse CIO, Charity Number 1158719, Leasowe Common, Moreton, Wirral, CH46 4TA

Opening Times

The Lighthouse is open for public access and guided tours between March and November on the 1st and 3rd Sunday each month from 12:00 until 16:00. The last tour starts at 15:30.

Guided tours to the top:

£2.50 for adults. £1 for children who must be 1.06 metres tall to take the tour.


We have a number of bespoke educational posters on display at the Lighthouse, on the ground floor.  Each panel represents a different year of World War 1 and shows stories both from the war itself and the soldiers and their families – on both sides of the conflict.

Of particular interest to us is the story of Alfred Scott, The Great, Great Uncle of one of the Founder Members of The Friends of Leasowe Lighthouse.

Alfred was born 1885 in Sheffield, Yorkshire and was the third child of the family.  They all moved to Wallasey in 1910.

He enlisted into the Royal Navy Nelson Battalion and served during WW1 as a leading seaman.

He was killed aged 30 years ashore at Gallipoli and his brother George Scott was notified of his death.  His name and details are shown on the Helles Memorial panel 1 and 2.

In an extract from The Wallasey News of 25th September 1915 –


After Attack on Turkish Trench


Much anxiety is being felt by his parents at 32, Wheatland Lane over the safety of Leading-Seaman Alfred Scott R.N.V.R., of the Nelson Battalion who was reported missing on the 13th July, following an attack on one of the hills in Gallipoli.  He is 30 years of age, and had been in the Navy for five years, being latterly employed as an engineer at Messrs. Rowland’s at Seacombe.  He went out to the Dardanelles at the commencement of the campaign, being with the Nelson Battalion, in which there are many local men, and according to some at which he was wounded during an attack and could not make his way back into the British lines when our forces had to yield some portion of the captured territory.

As yet the Admiralty have received no report about him, but his mother is hoping to obtain information from Constantinople.

In a letter to his parents, one of Seaman Scott’s comrades writing from Greenwich Military Hospital, says: –

“The last I saw of him was when we were making an attack on the Turkish trenches.  I did not manage to get as far as him before, I was wounded in my right shoulder and back, but I managed to call him.  He looked round and wished me good luck, and hoped I would get back to safety.  Those were his last words to me.  When we first landed we made an arrangement that if either one were laid out we should let the relatives know.  I wrote to Alf, as soon as I got back to the hospital in Egypt and enquired how he got on after I left him on the field.  But I received no answer.  I went back to the Dardanelles upon recovering, but was only there three days before being taken ill.  One of the men from the same regiment told me that Scott was reported wounded and missing.”


When the Lighthouse is closed or if you live far from us you can still enjoy the view from the top and check the weather on the Wirral by looking through our webcam.