The Lighthouse is open for public access and guided tours between March and November on the 1st and 3rd Sunday each month from 12:00 until 16:00. The last tour starts at 15:30.
£2.50 for adults. £1 for children who must be 1.06 metres tall to take the tour.
Leasowe Lighthouse had been left, unloved and uninhabited, from 1935. It had deteriorated and was regularly vandalised, the stairs had been sold for scrap and the only things apparently interested in it were the hundreds of pigeons who called it home.
In 1988 a firm of developers submitted plans to develop the Lighthouse. Their proposal failed but this was instrumental in the forming of The Friends of Leasowe Lighthouse.
The ground floor was occupied by Mike Garbutt, a Coastal Park Ranger. None of the upper rooms were available; at least 3 floors were badly burned or missing. He called on local residents and others to for a Friends Group, the inaugural meeting being held on 24th October 1989.
Open days started almost immediately although there was only the ground floor available.
During the first few years, unexpected tasks fell to the Friends, such as fighting off a second attempt by developers to convert the lighthouse into a pub and restaurant. The Friends also realised, after two years, that the Council was unable to continue its work of restoring the lighthouse any further. So began many years of fund-raising.